Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Three Deaths in Vancouver


Had a chat with CS, a friend at work, yesterday in which she revealed that she had found an article I wrote in 1993, Three Deaths in Vancouver. So click on the link if you want to read it. I re-read it just now, and still endorse its persective. CS told me she liked it, better than anything she has read here.

The article was an early part of Bad Subjects which has continued and changed. I haven't read it much in the last decade or so, but it is inspiring just in that it has soldiered on.

Played semi-hookey today ... that is I worked at home this morning and then went with four work colleagues to a Giants game. We sat in the baking sun, a rarity in San Francisco, and watched a lifeless Giants 8-0 loss to the Colorado Rockies' Jeff Francis, a Canadian. Had a great time, including chat, relaxing, and a Stella Artois beer ... I prefer ales, but they ran out of the ale for which I had queued just as I reached the head of the line. Stella Artois is light and perhaps a better choice for a boiling midday game. TF bought me a Ghirardelli chocolate sundae ... we hadn't even thought of one till RL bought one ... we couldn't resist.

How to sew this together ... the best part of being human is the casual warmth of hanging out with people you like and love. The worst part of the epidemic is that we are denied all that casual warmth. Not to forget the striving and creativity and lost time. But just chilling with friends ... nothing beats it.

Photo by Arod.

No comments: