Friday, September 21, 2007

Omar

What a joy it has been these last years to watch the incomparable Omar Vizquel play shortstop for the Giants. He just hit his third home run of the year ... a three-run shot ... wow. Kruk notes, "one thing about Omar ... he's not afraid to smile."

For the non-baseball fans among you, he is 40 years old, spry as a cat, fast as a whip, and as smooth a shortstop as has ever lived. I think he's the best ever, but I don't know what I'm talking about.

He says he will play winter ball in Venezuela this year for the first time in 13 years. Wish I had the time to winter in Caracas. What a scene that will be.

Watching his footwork, his preparation to meet the ball, the way he throws with what is only an average arm ... it is all sublime.

We figure he'll be gone next year, but thank you Omar for three years of beauty and grace and good times. I hope you'll be back. Regardless, we'll never forget you.

No comments: